Sunday, October 2, 2016

Day 2: Homemade Caramel Apple Spice

Hey everyone,

Happy Sunday! So while I'm normally not one to post photos of my half-eaten lunch on my social media feeds, I'd like to share what I think is a badass recipe for Caramel Apple Spice.

I absolutely LOVE my hot cider (one reason why autumn is my favorite season) especially when it's in season at the farmer's markets (that's pretty much the only kind I'll buy). But there are times when I do want a hot cider-ish drink during a season other than autumn. And while I love to support my local independent coffee shops, going everyday can take a lot out of your wallet (I've taken to going once a week...twice, if its a REALLY good week). Thus, I concocted this little recipe.

I typically use an apple juice from the organic section (I actually got 4 of the brand in the picture below for the price of two with coupons), cinnamon powder, a type of caramel (the one below I got from a Tastefully Simple Rep. The Pampered Chef also has some good dessert sauces as does your local farmers markets and Whole Foods can be good too).  Now, this time I have Reddi Whip's Extra Creamy Whipping Cream. Typically, I will make my own whipped cream (awesome recipe for homemade whipped cream here. This one is typically the one I use) but in this case I was lazy. Plus, the Extra Creamy product is good if you are on a tight budget and is probably their best one ingredient-wise.

So, taking the ingredients below, this is what I do:




1.) I measure the apple juice by pouring some (cold) into the coffee cup I intend to use, and then pour that into a saucepan on top of the stove (I much prefer this to microwaving...not a fan of microwaves).

2.) Add the caramel and cinnamon powder (I will confess that I do not measure the caramel or cinnamon when adding these...I just pour/sprinkle in as the spirit moves me so adjust how you see fit).

3.) I set the stove to a low-medium setting; you don't want to scald your juice! That's bad.

4.) Every stove is different as to how quickly it heats food and liquids. On mine, it usually takes about ten minutes before it is all to a consistency I like. Of course, stir while it heats to allow the caramel and cinnamon to disintegrate into the juice. Some of the cinnamon powder may settle at the top. That's okay.

5.) When everything is to where you want it to be, shut the oven off and remove sauce pan.

6.) Carefully (preferably over the sink) pour the juice with mixed in ingredients into the coffee cup of your choice.

7.) Top with whipped cream and drizzle some caramel or sprinkle some cinnamon (or do both!) on top!

The end result (The "Go To Hell, I'm Reading" mug came from Rickert & Beagle Books, an awesome bookstore located in Dormont, PA) :














*****


For first access to giveaways and other content not seen by the rest of the world, sign up for the free Messages from the Labyrinth Newsletter!

Paperback copies of Descent (The Birthrite Series, #1) and Sacred Atonement:Novelette (The Birthrite Series, # 1.5) available together for the low price of $21.00 at my Official Website


My music projects are available at CDBaby
My filmwork is on IMDb
"The Birthrite Series" and other books at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK
 My books and music are also on Amazon and iTunes
Tiffany on Goodreads
Support great authors and independent bookstores at Smashwords and Indiebound

No comments:

Post a Comment